Tuesday, February 12, 2013
25 Random Things
1. My favorite movie of all time is IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE. If you haven’t seen it, I can’t recommend it enough. Every year, I make a point of going to see it a few days before Christmas on the big screen at the AFI's Silver Theater in downtown Silver Spring. It really puts the Christmas Spirit in me.
2. I love my little girl!
3. For almost 6 years, we used to meet friends and family almost every Thursday at the Red Robin in Columbia, MD. It was a blast, and Melody loved getting together with everyone. It was our chance to catch up and visit, and we never ceased to have a great time. We also got to know some of the wonderful staff that works there, and we continue to stay in touch with several of them.
4. My dream car is a 1970 Olds 442 W-30 convertible. Maybe someday that dream will come true.
5. My almost-five years of marriage were among the happiest years of my life. I fell in love with and married my best friend, Teresa, who passed away in April, 2004. I’ve been widowed longer than married, but I’m praying that, if it’s God’s will that I marry again, it will be as wonderful as the first time. Tell your loved ones everyday how much you love them. You can't say it enough.
6. I am very passionate about my Pittsburgh Steelers. The city of Pittsburgh is a wonderful place, and I would move there in a heartbeat if I had a job waiting for me there.
7. I’ve driven the entire length of (what's left of) old Route 66 (Chicago to LA). Highlights include the Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo, TX, home of the free 72 oz. steak (if you can eat it in one hour….no, I didn‘t try); Albuquerque & Santa Fe, NM; “Sweet Home” Chicago, IL; Flagstaff, AZ; the nearby Grand Canyon; the Mojave Desert (where, at times, I know I was miles from any living person, alone with my thoughts and our wonderful God. Driving through God’s beauty in the American West is both therapeutic and humbling.); and Hollywood, CA, which is just too cool for words.
8. I’ve driven through 41 U.S. states and 5 Canadian provinces, but I’ve been to only one other country.
9. My daughter regularly beats me at Wii bowling.
10. My favorite movie of all time is JOE VERSUS THE VOLCANO. You'll only like it if you GET it. Most people don't GET it. It is amusing and inspiring, with lots of symbolism, and is very romantic.
11. One of my role models is Richie Cunningham. Most guys wanted to be like the Fonz. I wanted to be like Richie.
12. My family has owned 16 Oldsmobiles, starting with Mom's '66 442 convertible, and includes my '87 442.
13. I am a frustrated actor and director, though I’m fortunate to have had an outlet through church drama for most of my life. Teresa and I ran the drama ministry at Montrose Baptist for several years, performing, writing, and directing many Sunday morning dramas, shows, dinner theaters, and numerous productions.
14. I’ve been so blessed to have many wonderful pastors as friends and mentors, including George Aist, Tom Kaylor, Dick Craig, Lisa Kerwin, Pastor Moussa, Sandy Adams, and my current pastor at Grace Community Church, Mark Norman, as well as my grandfather, Chester “Pap” Freed, and my father-in-law, Jim Shirlen.
15. I love Fall much more than Spring, and Winter much more than Summer. Bring on the snow!
16. I have three Tivos. It's one of the best inventions ever.
17. My daughter inherited my love of roller coasters, and that’s one reason why we’ve been to over a dozen different amusement parks in the past several years.
18. I played in the Orange Bowl during my freshman year at Maryland….in the Mighty Sound Of Maryland Marching Band.
19. I didn’t care for coffee until a few years ago. Now I drink at least one cup each morning.
20. My favorite movie of all time is REAR WINDOW….and NORTH BY NORTHWEST….and YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN….and DAY OF THE JACKAL.... I'm a bit of a movie buff.
21. I spent over 10 years as a youth counselor at several different churches, and I was truly blessed by my friends and co-workers in that ministry, particularly Lisa Kerwin, Scott Yackley, and Diana Depew, and so many great kids!
22. I’ve worked for the Federal Government for over 21 years, half with NOAA and half with the FAA, but all with the same organization, Aeronautical Charting.
23. I have the most wonderful parents. My father is my best friend. My mother is like a mother to my daughter. I love them both so much. My in-laws are a true blessing, too.
24. There are several people who inspire me and have become role models to me because of how they have handled adversity in their lives: Brian, Sheryl, Brooke, Erin, and Mom, thank you! You are each in my prayers regularly.
25. God has blessed me with a wonderful life. Several months following Teresa’s death, as I was going through some papers, I discovered a slip of paper on which she had written the following verse. I don't know why she felt the need to write it down, but it was as if I was meant to find it. I am comforted every time I read it: “And the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will Himself restore you and make you strong, firm, and steadfast.” - I Peter 5:10. With Him, life gets better each and every day.