So here are our trip numbers:
- We drove approximately 2500 miles (I say "we", but my 10 year old daughter, Melody, didn't do any of it).
- We went through 9 states: MD, PA, OH, IN, IL, WI, MO, KY, & WV.
- We were gone for 10 days.
- Melody has now been to 34 states; I've been stuck at 41 states for about seven years.
- The most miles I drove on any one day was our last day: 435 miles. That's not close to my record, which is 810 miles in one day (in 1998), but given that I'm 16 years older now, I think 435 is pretty good.
- We attended G-Fest XXI in Chicago, Melody's 5th and my 8th. G-Fest is the largest gathering of fans of giant Japanese monster movies and shows in North America. We also attended a concert of music composed for Godzilla movies by Akira Ifukube on what would have been his 100th birthday. This was a once in a lifetime concert, the first ever of its kind outside of Japan.
- Other highlights of the trip include Six Flags Great America, Six Flags St. Louis, Circus World, Lou Malnati's and Giordano's pizza, Abraham Lincoln's Tomb, The Louisville Slugger Museum, The Cozy Dog, Hillbilly Hot dogs, and Point Pleasant, home of the Mothman.
We visited with my parents today. Other than it was great to see them after two weeks, we also wanted to get Faithful Pup Scout, who was staying with them while we were gone. Scout seemed to be doing well, but she is favoring her left front paw. She had been limping a little bit before we left, but she's not putting any weight on it now. We had her leg checked a few years ago and found out that her knee is out of joint, but there really wasn't much that could be done about it. It has gradually gotten worse, and now she won't put her weight on it. We'll have to get her checked out again. Poor pup. She was sure happy to see us, though!
We also put to rest our little Macy, Melody's hamster. Macy passed away on Monday. Mom and Dad kept her on ice so Melody could bury her properly, so we had a little funeral service, packed her into a little cardboard box, and buried her in Mom and Dad's backyard. Melody didn't tear up like I expected, but it was still hard for her. Macy was her first pet.